Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Marital Roles

In my couple years of being married, I have noticed that marital roles change on a regular basis.

What do I mean by that?

Any time a transition or a change happens in life, the way you relate to your spouse changes as well (i.e. marital roles change).

What differentiates strong couples from the rest is the ability to stand in the waves and flow with the tide together.

When times change, so does the nature of relationship. A move, a new job, the birth of a child have a powerful impact on a marriage.

Someone once told me that you date and marry the person for the first time all over again at the beginning of these types of transitions.

Each time we have moved we have had a change and growth period.

We have made it through because we never stop dating each other. Discovering new things about each other and letting that mature the nature of our relationship.

The new job has brough out "intense, goal-oriented Gracie". When I was a nanny I was more of a "teacher, mommy Gracie". When I was at my old job I was more of a "restless, creative, home-making Gracie".

They are all elements of my personality, intensified by the nature of my daily tasks.

Kevin has had similar changes during these transitions and as we continue to "date" while we are married, we learn to adapt and change to meet each other's needs.

The driving force behind our willingness to work together?

Love, respect for one another, an intense sense of loyalty, a strong friendship, and a deep understanding that changes will come and we can make it through as long as we are on the same page, supporting each other.

Have you found this to be true in your relationships? Your friendships?

No comments:

Post a Comment