Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Living to work or working to live?

During spring break my senior year in college we went to see a medieval times musical on horses in Florida.

This is a story for another day, another time.

On the way to that show, I started talking with the cab driver.

He and I spoke in Spanish about how different Latin American culture is from American culture and he said something to me that stuck in my mind.

He noted in his country people work to live and in America people live to work.

This is so true.

Work is such a major part of our lives. If we count up the total hours we end up working in our lifetime, it ends up being years of our lives.

People of all cultures have to work to live, to put food on the table for their families.

In America (and I'm sure some other places in the world), often our lives start revolving completely around work instead of around our families and friends.

Since I started working at the PR firm, I've realized how easily this happens. How being busy can make you forget what really matters: God, your relationships with your family and friends, and serving those in need.

Work and home life balance is so important.

How can we work hard to do well at our jobs and keep our priorities in check?

An age old question, I guess.

Would love to hear what you think about it.

Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment