Monday, September 28, 2015

Active Whispering - A Lost Art

The past couple weeks I've been fighting a cold. As you could imagine, it makes juggling life with two a bit challenging. Thankfully, Kevin, friends, and family have seriously stepped up to help by making meals and watching Lil and Row so I can get better. I've felt so grateful. It takes a village, people!

Being on the tail end of this thing, I've lost my voice almost completely for a couple days. All that comes out is a raspy whisper. And I have learned so much. 

Active listening is a lost art. And active whispering is perhaps one as well.

When I whisper, Lil needs to quiet to hear me. She stops playing or tantruming to listen to what I have to say. And you know what? She whispers back to me. Whispers in a sassy tone sometimes (terrific 2s), but whispers all the same! She even put herself in timeout once. Perhaps not as a result of the whispering and just a random thing. But I thought that was pretty funny.

When I whisper, Kev has a chance to really talk out life to me. Throw out ideas and express random thoughts. The silence gives him opportunity to express himself fully. Taking chalk to a blank slate. 

When I whisper, Rowan laughs. Because, well, I sound silly.

I used to think that I didn't want to be one that whispers because those people are never heard. I'm a passionate, strong, confident woman. Hear me roar! 

However, I can really see now that quieting my voice sometimes can be the best chance to be heard and give me a better chance to truly hear those around me.

Do you think there is a time in the day that you could benefit from whispering? 




No comments:

Post a Comment