Tuesday, April 16, 2013

When the only answer is to pray

This can be such a hurtful world. As I reflect upon the atrocities that have taken place the past couple months, I feel overwhelmed about my inability to control the world around me; a few acts of destruction and anger can overshadow so many good acts in this world.

A full week after my due date, I almost have the tendency to want to keep our sweet baby girl in my womb. To protect her forever in there. However, that is not God's plan for our lives.

God gives us a pathway for peace in this world, one that is paved by prayer. Prayer gives us a selfless and eternal perspective on life. It brings unity, comfort, hope, peace, wisdom. Unfortunately, there are those in this world that are disturbed and refuse to believe in hope. It breaks God's heart that they do not choose the peace that is ever available to them. He wants all of us to live the framework of our lives by love.

I strongly believe that God does not force people to choose love over hatred. A forced decision, is not a true one. He allows us to live life as more than just puppets in some game. It makes the active decision to do good, a far more powerful and meaningful one.

Those who choose selfishness, will always hurt those around them physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Prayer is something that keeps us from becoming selfish. Turning our eyes towards true love and away from anger and negativity. People that pray, communities that pray, are inspired by good and are given a desire to serve the world around them.

Prayer changes things. It changes mindsets which directly changes behaviors.

As a new mother, I need to keep in mind that my example will be one that will influence our girl's future decisions. If I choose to love and show love, she may be inspired to do the same. She is going to be her own person, with a unique personality. People and circumstances will find ways to bring her pain and I will not be able to control that. History shows that my own selfishness will also find a way to indirectly hurt her in some way and I can hardly bare that undeniable fact.

Literally, all I can do is pray.
Pray for wisdom that she makes the right decisions.
Pray for comfort when the world breaks her heart.
Pray for love when she could hate.
Pray for joy in the midst of sorrow.
Pray for peace in tumultuous times.
Pray for patience and self-control when she needs it the most.
Pray for kindness, goodness, faithfulness to fill her life.

God gives us the strength to get through things if we choose to keep our eyes on His great example. The best way that we can do that is to pray.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so beautiful and heartfelt it brought tears to my eyes. your daughter will be so blessed because she has such a loving mother and father who are living out their faith in the Lord each and every day in so many ways. Thanks for being such a beautiful person inside and out :-D

    ReplyDelete