Monday, March 12, 2012

Beanie Babies and generosity

Kevin told me this sweet memory he had from childhood and it broke my heart, reminding me how lucky I am to have found him:

When Kevin was younger his three favorite stuffed animals were three beanie babies. He remembers their names and everything. He took them everywhere with him.

One day his school had a beanie baby drive for kids in need.

Kevin, without hesitation, took two out of the three of his favorite toys out of his backpack and gave them to the drive for the kids in need.

He remembers, when he got home, his mom was upset with him because they were some of the original beanie babies, were in relatively good condition, and could have been worth something some day (and many of those types of beanie babies were worth something one day... up to $1000 at auction for some).

Kevin remembers shrugging and playing with the one beanie baby he saved. He remembers thinking to himself, "Why have 3 beanie babies when all I need is one?"

This story brought me to tears because it is so Kevin. He gives without a thought of himself and is a purist in every way, shape, and form. He is so generous and never brings attention to himself for it.

I so love this guy and am honored to wake up every morning next to him.

Gracie

1 comment:

  1. I remember that time though I forget the names of the Beanie Babies. You are so right; that is so Kevin. Yes, I was upset, a little, but he melted me at the same time. Kevin was such a sweet little guy that it was really hard to be upset with him, even when he did wrong!! I did over time replace those Beanies. They are probably still here if you would like them.

    ReplyDelete